Friday 12 November 2010

CRÈME DE LA CRÈME: ...of the crop



July 2000

My predilection for purchasing crop tops is, in a way, farcical. In the past 2 years, I have bought a grand total of 12 of these midriff-baring garments. (May I care to add that Sophie T falls just behind me with 7). The irony is, I never actually intend to get it out.

Cotton, lace, silk, velvet, sequin- my wardrobe is characterised by a plethora of these miniature articles that would probably look better on a 10 year old. Yet, as the photo above reveals, it seems my gravitation towards le crop top did in fact start around this age. On my 12th birthday I chose to sport a bright pink Kookai number. JLo meets 1990s girl band was my inspiration I do believe.


Today, as I was cruising through the usual non work-related websites in my post-lunch haze, I came across an article on style.com that made me very happy.

According to them, the midriff is the new “hotspot”. Crop tops are back, and pairing them with anything high-waisted will earn you a gold sartorial star. I could have told you that! Give me a job please. A flash of midriff, note: a subtle flash- belly buttons are a no no- is the new erogenous zone. Forget choosing between boobs or legs, the middle’s where it’s at. Hurrah. My past purchases will not be slung onto the ever-expanding sad, limp pile of rejects awaiting to be put on eBay. Go cropping mad people!


Jonathan Saunders

2 comments:

  1. Is that miss karolna kurkova http://www.google.fr/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=karolina+kurkova&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=2XHiTPWkOMqNjAe1xujHAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC8QsAQwAA but with clothes on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is indeedy!

    have you seen this year's Victoria's Secret installment?

    ReplyDelete